Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Interesting News....

Hi everyone!

I need to do a better job updating my blog. My life has been pretty busy and when you add to that my quality of life from the meds I take, it makes it rather hard to find the time to update! That said, I received some interesting news yesterday. Not sure what this means yet but I will keep you posted.

Yesterday I received a call from my doctors at Holy Cross. They told me that the results from my last PCR ABL test came back (that’s the test that is used to determine the amount of cancer left in my body). My results have gone up not down like they have for the last four tests I have taken. This means that it could have been a false positive OR- my chemo is not working anymore. The doctors have requested that I wait another two more weeks and then go get tested again. This will validate what the issue is. If it goes up again, Gleevec has stopped working. If it goes down then the test was wrong and all is good.

I have talked to some of my friends at CML2 and they tell me that if my chemo has stopped working then they will most likely try another drug. Hopefully the new drug will kill the cancer and I can get into Molecular Remission. If the new chemo does not work. I may need to have a BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant). I don’t wish that upon anyone. If you’re interested in finding out what a BMT is, Google it. It’s not a fun stay at the hospital!

Hopefully the test was wrong and I can continue with the chemo. I’ll even settle for a new chemo with new side effects.  Thanks everyone for your continued support! I will updated everyone after I get the results back. I will re-take the test the week of September 13th.

Love,
Chemo-Sabi
Ryan Romero

2 comments:

  1. Ryan:)
    I am at a loss for words as I know all to well the cancer jounrey as does our little Karlie.Cancer of any kind is a mean roller coaster of emotions, pain, waiting, hoping and praying.

    I pray with all my heart that the results were wrong and things are looking well still. True there are lots of chemo meds out there so I hope worse case is you have to take a new med but Gleevec has a good sucsess rate for the most part.

    You will be in in our every thought and pray and send Jenifer our love as well, keep fighting we love you:) The Max Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, all the best wishes are flying your way. What's that saying? For every closed door there is an open window. Some kind of bull****, you're thinking? ... but, they are right. There is a positive out there. Keep smiling. Find joy. Keep peace.

    You are amazing. And you are loved.

    ReplyDelete